Thursday, March 4, 2010

Dropped Calls

I don't know that there is anything that irritates me more than people talking on cell phones in enclosed public spaces. In an unfortunate turn of events, the last three days I have sat next to or in the close proximity of this obnoxious breed on my train commute to and from work. I realize this is an oft-aired complaint, but I feel the need to express my frustration along with the rest of the masses.

I exceedingly enjoy reading on the train, but this is a pastime I find virtually impossible to partake in if someone is gabbing incessantly on his or her phone. For some reason, a two-way conversation with both parties present isn't anywhere near as annoying, that is, assuming neither party has laser nasal voice. No amount of staring, glaring, sighing and head shaking on my part seems to do any good with these "smartphone" talkers, a moniker that clearly doesn't apply to the actual user of the device. Today served up one side of a conversation detailing an entire rundown of the current season of "The Bachelor." The only useful piece of trivia I gleaned from this half-heard dish is that there are two people in the world that actually watch this craptastic drivel. Almost makes me nostalgic for the days when Tupac mused:
                "You gotta learn to hold your own; 
                They get jealous when they see you with your 
                 mobile phone,"
suggesting an exclusivity to the honor of bugging those around you with louder-than-necessary unnecessary banter.

My train does supply "Quiet Ride" cars where riders are not allowed to so much as speak aloud. I usually don't seek these cars out as they are always the first on the train which means they are at the far end of the station, but I may have to change my practices, or someone is likely to get throttled in the near future, and I'll be stuck in Mordor forever!

“It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."
                                                                                      -- Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment