Thursday, April 15, 2010

Springtime

Each and every year I'm convinced its glory unleashes overnight, a miracle at work while we sleep. With the absence of Evergreens, the east coast spring is that much lusher, bare to absolutely beautiful. It seems impossible to believe that a few short months ago this ground was covered in inches of snow. Now, everything's a-bloom, fragrant and unfurled, all except the large tree outside our bedroom window. The only living thing holding on to the memory of winter.

On my walk home from work, my ears pricked at a quiet, gentle sound, but one I hadn't heard for a season: the rustling of leaves. I love the shoulder season, between closed windows and air conditioning, when open windows mean my favorite alarm, a cacophony of twittering birds.

Welcome spring!

1 comment: