Friday, June 11, 2010

Holy Lunch Hour!

Trapped beneath the fluorescent lighting and feeling a desperate need for a little spiritual uplifting, I came to the idea of googling mid-day church services in University City. As rare of late luck would have it, a Lutheran church offered Eucharist starting in fifteen minutes. I made the quick two over, four up walk to their location, silently walking into the narthex where a small number of chairs had been arranged in a semi-circle. I chose one and settled in, holding the new red hymnal on my lap.

After quieting a few familiar and friendly but noisy inebriated folks outside, the young pastor began the service. It was just him, three older men, and me. Scripture was read and prayers recited as we sat around a cross-shaped pool. The doors to the outside were open, bringing in a strong, rustling breeze along with busy street noise. With it, the wind carried the sound of our three part a capella harmony, clear and in tune albeit bottom heavy on two familiar tunes. Many passers-by glanced in curiously at the hearty hymn sounds of our motley group, but the embarrassment of my youth at participating openly in something like this was long, long gone.

Peace given and brochure taken, I rejoined the masses on an increasingly hot and crowded city sidewalk and right-angled my way back to the windowless abyss of nine to five.

No comments:

Post a Comment