Monday, January 25, 2010

Old College Try

Apparently the wind and rain that recently wreaked havoc on Southern California took the nonstop cross country as a whipping wind and rain snarled commutes and frizzed hair this otherwise ordinary Monday morning. But, after the storm's passing, the clear skies and unseasonably warm weather have been a welcome relief from the barren, sepia landscape of a never ending January, and Gus and I enjoyed our evening walk in the fading dusk of Haverford College that much more.

Although my family holds a multi-generational tradition of dreaming of an education at Vassar College, if Gus and I ever have children, Haverford is now in the running as another school to suggest. If nothing else, our tenure on the east coast has not only opened my eyes to the incredible choices available in higher education, but also to, here anyway, the importance placed on the pedigree of choice in higher education, and I endeavor to bequeath the next generation with this gift, should this be the path so chosen.
-------------------
On another note, this weekend, I came to the realization that I had lost myself to a, here, still unnamed process. Sacrificing my health for something outside my own skin, something that is, as of yet, unknown. I have always prided myself on my ability to set limits and a commitment to my own sanity, and I mourned to discover this had been lost within the grand pursuit. And so yesterday, I made a recommitment to myself, which started with a gym membership at my work, and ended with a gentle yet firm reminder that there is nothing on this earth that is worth sacrificing my own physical, mental and spiritual health. I maintain, nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment