Saturday, February 6, 2010

Concord

The blizzard dubbed "Snowmageddon" by President Obama has passed into the frigid Atlantic, leaving a full two feet of snow for us to wonder at and dig out from under. Alone at home and unable to leave, contained by four angular walls and kept company by radio personalities and the whistling wind outside. Neighbors have dug labyrinth paths on sidewalks as snow plows scrape to spotty cement; neighborhood dogs nose and frolick in soft drifts up to their floppy tails.

As luck would have it, one of my favorite movies, Little Women (1994), is on television tonight. Every time I watch this movie, I see a side of myself in each of the sisters. Jo's bookish creativity and bleeding heart, her sharp tongue and fair idealism. Meg's responsibility and learned lessons in true values, the carried weight of an eldest daughter. Amy, indulged by those that love her and lover of the good life, reluctant yet self-assured. And Beth, sweet Beth, who brings tears to the homesick traveler as she wonders "Why does everyone want to go away? I love being home. But I don't like being left behind."

All the girls, unique and encouraged as such, are guided by the modern wisdom and gentle strength of their mom, "Marmee," much of whose character I see in my own mom, who today celebrates her birthday as I do from afar.

"I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship."
                                                                                       -Louisa May Alcott

No comments:

Post a Comment