Sunday, May 2, 2010

Weekend Recap

Mine was a busy weekend but filled with healthy, relaxing activities. On Friday, we skipped out early and drove to Washington County, Maryland. As we drove west on I-76, the same route we'll take to leave Philadelphia for good, we tried to imagine what that moment would feel like. We arrived at our destination in the late afternoon and unpacked into our Kamping Kabin, seen here:

After a much needed nap, we headed into the closest town, Hagerstown, for (what else?) Maryland crabcakes. Then, early to bed in the still and dark of the near-deserted campground.

The next day we rose early and set out to hike a (very small) portion of the Appalachian Trail. The weather was hot and the hike was steep but it sure felt good to be out of the city into the fresh, albeit wet, spring air of the countryside. Just in the short time we were on it, we saw how varied the Trail is, from thick trees and underbrush to a small path behind a church.





Upon returning home,despite the 90 degree weather and heavy humidity, I spent a good deal of time working out in the garden, saved by a persistent breeze. I had missed on Thursday seeing that my sunflowers are coming in! I can't wait to see how tall they grow over the summer. Today I planted two kinds of pumpkins: Antique French "Cinderella's Carriage" and "Rouge Vif d'Etampes," described as "a very old French Heirloom, the most common pumpkin in the Central Market in Paris in the 1880s." I also planted Sugar Snap Peas (Dwarf Gray Sugar). I installed a homemade pie safe to protect my dill from predators, made from chicken wire and twine:


After a quick trip to the nursery ("Just for tomatoes, Gus"...ha!) I put in a hearty looking basil as well as some additional annuals including Lobelia, "Midget Mix" Stock and a purple Angelonia. Finally, I planted and caged four tomatoes: Heirloom "Mr. Stripey" (how could I resist?) "Black Krim" and "Yellow Pear," and "Sweet 100" cherries. Although the cherry tomatoes are not heirloom, I bought the same last year and had great success both in terms of flavor and prolificacy.


Bah humbug to Mondays, but look to your left! Only 199 days until I retire and can spend all my time on the good stuff.


1 comment:

  1. wow, great pictures. the trail looks so inviting. it is so cold here, everything is definitely in a very slow growth mode. it sounds like you already know the good stuff, and are spending time on that--what could be better than a philly spring garden?

    ReplyDelete