Monday, August 24, 2009

Equal Partners in a Mystery

At long last, the clouds lifted just a bit in my little corner of the world. For Philadelphialand, the clouds have been swept off to sea taking with them the stale humidity and leaving instead a fresher, cooler breeze and bright blue late summer skies. For me, after a difficult few weeks, I was finally able to get up the gumption to go for a run, made easier by the arrival of such a beautiful evening. As I set out in the magic of dusk, the air in the neighborhood was thick with a heady combination of late blossoming flowers, meat on the barbecue, buzzing cicadas and reverberating car stereos, all filling my lungs and my mind with strength and hope.

Many years ago when I attended Interlochen Arts Camp, the Indigo Girls gave a performance at the gorgeous outdoor auditorium that I have never forgotten. This time of year, at the tail end of summer, I never fail to think of the lyrics to one of their songs, "Mystery":

          I could go crazy on a night like tonight/
          when summer's beginning to give up her fight/
          and every thought's a possibility/
          and the voices are heard but nothing is seen/ 
          why do you spend this time with me/
          may be an equal mystery.

So inspired was I by all this that I signed up for a 10k run in late September, just outside of Baltimore. Gus and I have yet to visit "Charm City" so we plan to make a weekend out of it. The event's website promises free hot dogs and beer to race finishers which makes for an even sweeter carrot dangling in front of me as I train.

No comments:

Post a Comment