Sunday, August 23, 2009

Lazy Sunday Hedgehogs

On a recent trip to Doylestown, Penn. I found in a quilt shop there the most fabulous craft project ever...Woolpets! In a surprising coincidence, the company is located in Suquamish, Wash. where I happened to have been potty trained at the ripe old age of twelve months at a family cabin overlooking the Puget Sound...but I digress. Woolpets make for a wonderful and rewarding craft project, and they can certainly be finished in a day. The result of your hard work is a darling little woolen animal to grace your home and warm your heart. I recently completed my first, the hedgehog, a photo of which I include here:



The technique of this craft project is wool felting which is surprisingly easy and quite forgiving of mistakes. The kit comes with everything you need, including very easy to follow instructions, you only need to supply your own needle and thread for attaching eyes and the like. Gus bought me the Red Fox kit as a surprise anniversary gift and I've halfway finished the sly guy. I highly recommend these for beginner and advanced crafty beavers alike.

Coincidentally, I'm currently enjoying a great read, The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. The book is translated from French and takes on the theme of class consciousness in modern society through the wealthy tenants of a Parisian apartment and the building's concierge. The story is thick with philosophy and high brow artistic references but is also funny and offers up great food for thought. It reminds us to not judge a book by its cover, but the cover of this book is one of the reasons I bought it so who knows.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment