Monday, August 31, 2009

Winds of Change

I've noticed that the weather is a topic I often mention here. Since moving to the east coast I've been made more aware of its moods and modes than at any other time in my life (except possibly my first 60 below zero windchill in Chicago!). In Philadelphia I've been scared of the weather with cloud-to-ground lightening, crashing thunder, flash floods, and intense hail, snow and sleet. The heat and humidity have overwhelmed me, sweating and searing and transforming me into an irritable, nasty, lazy little grump.

But beginning yesterday evening, as Gus and I went for a late night walk, I could, at long last, feel the first hints of what will become my favorite season of the year, autumn.

Year after year, autumn is always my most productive season. Last night, I felt as if I awoke from a hibernation that had lasted, in some ways, all year long. In autumn's coolness I exercise more, sleep better and feel full of energy. I'm happier, healthier and more optimistic and confident than any other time during the year. Half-finished craft projects that collected dust all summer are resurrected and worked on in a flourish of gusto and intent. Books are finished, cupboards are reorganized, and miscellaneous I've avoided for months is finally dealt with. Summer clothes are taken to the dry cleaners before being stored away and woolens are shaken out and hung up in anticipation of chillier days.

Just between yesterday and today, I've been able to complete two craft projects that have been hanging on, in need of just a few finishing touches.  One is my Woolpets fox (which was considerably more difficult than the hedgehog, I might add)...

...and the other is a fabulous and fancy bangle, the kit for which I purchased from French General.


I wish I could sustain my autumn self through the seasons, but I know from experience that isn't possible. There's just something in its magic that, for me, can't be conjured up at any other time during the year. And so although my beloved autumn will eventually freeze into winter, melt into spring and hang in the interminable heat of summer, with the passage of time it will eventually return and with it the moxie and merriment I feel today.

Now, off the computer and out into this beautiful (unofficial) fall evening!

1 comment:

  1. I love Autumn, too! Subconsiously, I think it's my favorite season but I pretend to like spring and summer better. I love sitting in a coffee shop on a crisp october day with a hot drink in hand and reading a book or writing poetry!

    ReplyDelete