Friday, December 11, 2009

Cold Hands, Warm Heart

This morning, as I stepped off the train at 30th Street Station and into the stairwell, the rush of warm air was a relief from the wicked wind that whipped across the open-air platform. I joined a sea of people as we trooped down the stairs and into the main walkway of the station, the air too thick with the smell of bacon, doughnuts and coffee. People crisscrossed this way and that, en route to various destinations within the city and beyond. Cheery poinsettias lined the florist's stall and shoe shiners bantered their way through early morning customers. Police dogs smartly ignored the wafting delights to focus their noses on passing parcels and packs. Two massive Macy's advertisements were unfurled down walls, bracketing a stoic and sparkly Christmas tree.
-----------
Today marks the end of a short but wonderful visit from my stepdad John. We enjoyed his company over dinners at Osteria and Butcher and Singer. It was wonderful to hear news of home firsthand and have a touch of familiarity. For me, a stepdad is a person that I didn't realize I needed before he arrived on the scene. Now, I can't imagine life without him. What a wonderful early Christmas gift his visit was!

No comments:

Post a Comment