Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Insurgence

For Christmas last year, something possessed me to ask for a serger, which I did then receive. Since December 2008, it has sat on my sewing table, stocky and strange, collecting dust and intimidating me. Over the past year I've looked at various sewing projects that require the use of a serger, but have always decided against them as I've been afraid to make the acquaintance of this strange sewing apparatus I so pined for.

And so, as the Christmas season again approached and I began work on various homemade gifts, I once again ran into the problem of needing to use the serger. There aren't many people that I'd take the plunge for, but my little sister is one of them and so, since I'm making her a (It's a secret! Plus, it hasn't turned out yet.), I gave up and gave in. I bought four spools of thread, watched the set-up video, threaded two needles and two...other things...and, giving the beast one last sideways glance, tried my hand at serging.

At this point I can't say the machine and I are the best of friends, in fact I'm taking a break because right about now I really hate the darn thing. In time, I'm sure I'll get there. When it and its operator are in sync, it's an amazing piece of machinery. The rest of the time, including at this moment, it's a Class A Disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment