Saturday, December 5, 2009

Snow on Snow

The dreary cloud that hung above my head and spoiled my attitude for the good part of a week finally dissipated yesterday. The return of my sunny disposition allowed me to enjoy tapas, sangria and many laughs with friends last night at Amada in Old City.

Despite my bright outlook, though, another cloudy system rolled in off the coast, this time to coat the entire east coast in a soft blanket of snow. What started as a few errant flakes early this morning has turned into a great snowstorm, quieting and softening the world as only snow can.

I'm happy to use the weather as an excuse to stay in, working on sewing projects, wrapping presents and, yes, listening to more Christmas music. In honor of the snow, the words to my favorite Christmas carol, "In the Bleak Midwinter." 


In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
in the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Heaven cannot hold him, nor earth sustain;
heaven and earth shall flee away when he comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
the Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
if I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
yet what I can I give him: give my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment