Friday, July 30, 2010

Yoga for Three

Last night, I attended my first prenatal yoga class, at my usual yoga studio The Yoga Garden in Narberth, PA. I was hesitant to attend prior to this week, feeling it was too early and even at ten weeks I was worried I wouldn't fit in with all the second and third trimester bellies. My slight fears were for naught, though, as there were women at all stages of pregnancy. Being pregnant with twins is a great ice breaker, even with this crowd, as people had plenty of questions.

It was great to be in a class completely focused on the unique changes the dozen or so of us are experiencing. The poses we did were centered around stretching, flexibility and strength helpful during pregnancy and birth. We also did two sets of Kegels and plenty of breathing exercises. During savasana (modified for those further along), the instructor reminded us that our babies are completely content right now. They have everything they need and they are happy and relaxed in the homes being provided to them. So when we are stressed in our daily lives, she suggested that it's okay to draw on their calm as a source of strength and use this a reminder to take it easy. I really liked this idea and it provided a great visual.

Looking forward to next week's class!

No comments:

Post a Comment