Thursday, September 17, 2009

Honah Lee

I was so sad to hear the news early this morning (after doing yoga...) that Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary had died. No, my blog hasn't been hijacked by a sixty-something ex-hippie still extolling the beauty of macramé...I actually count myself among their many fans. Proof positive: I've seen them in concert three times, accounting for one-third of the live concerts I've attended.

I grew up on a healthy diet of Joni Mitchell, The Beatles, Carole King and Cat Stevens in addition to Mary's trio. While my mom went about her day around the house, I made a nest of blankets and pillows underneath a wide, red wooden chair and examined every inch of the album covers as the records spun. My mom sang along to various tunes as I carefully followed along with the lyrics printed on the inside cover. I crushed on Cat with his gorgeous brown beard (and who was that jolly Tillerman anyway?) and was entranced by the shiny suits of St. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

This music was a big part of my introduction into the liberal world of peace, equality and justice. At the same time I was holed up with my mom's record collection, through our church we participated in activities that embodied the message of PP&M. We marched in protest of the murder of nuns in El Salvador, singing "All we are saying, is give peace a chance" while snaking through the streets of Seattle. Our family stopped eating grapes to support the rights of the United Farm Workers and, despite my desperate pleas for chocolate Quik, quit purchasing Nestle products to protest their pushing baby formula in developing nations.

These were small gestures, but collectively formed my introduction to the wide world beyond Lake Forest Park. There were far away places like South Africa and Central America, and people I had never met were struggling and in need of our support. Best of all, I found out our little family could participate and make a difference through our words and actions.

I know this is a Bob Dylan song, but I first heard it sung by Peter, Paul and Mary and it is the harmony of their three voices I hear when reading these lyrics. Before singing this song at one of their concerts, Mary lamented that, after 40 years, the words were still so relevant.

How many roads must a man walk down/
Before they call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove sail/
Before she sleeps in the sand?
How many times must the cannon balls fly/
Before they're forever banned?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind/
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

How many years must a mountain exist/
Before it is washed to the sea?
How many years can some people exist/
Before they're allowed to be free?
How many times can a man turn his head/
And pretend that he just doesn't see?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind/
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

How many times must a man look up/
Before he can see the sky?
How many ears must one man have/
Before he can hear people cry?
How many deaths will it take 'til he knows/
That too many people have died?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind/
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Stina. I also remember another song from that march, Alabare. I think that how it was sung at the march was Alabare a mi Senor, Alabare el Salvador, over and over. Sometimes we sing it at John's church, the whole song, and it always makes me think of that day. I wonder if you remember it, as I am sure you were singing it too! Mom

    ReplyDelete