Monday, September 28, 2009

Salty Snack

A friend of mine subscribes to a weekly box of produce from local growers and today kindly offered up some of her bounty to us, which includes gorgeous beets, cabbage, jalapeƱos, onions and a big bunch of kale.

Kale. I like it and Gus loves it, but the only way we've ever prepared it is sauteed with olive oil and garlic. My friend mentioned that some other produce box-ers were going to make kale chips with theirs so I thought, why not?

The recipe I'm using:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Tear a bunch of kale into bite-sized pieces and carefully wash and dry.
Spread on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until edges are brown.

Here's a before photo:



Okay, I just took my chips out of the oven and I can definitively say that kale chips are delicious! I'm a big potato chip fan and these are plenty crunchy and salty so they definitely give you the chip experience, without that whole guilt thing. Plus the recipe is so easy! I used fleur de sel which worked great, and also saw a recipe to sprinkle with grated Parmesan which would be good as well.

Here's an after photo (before I ate them all):

Gotta go, need to quick make another batch before Gus gets home...

1 comment:

  1. YUM...I am going to give this a try. Thanks for the recipe. I've made a kale a potato soup before that was very good.

    ReplyDelete