Wednesday, November 18, 2009

In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening

Tonight, a brisk walk through my neighborhood with a friend, turning and weaving our way through the dark streets. Large, warmly lit homes line the quiet streets, with only the shuffling of sneakers and leaves to accompany our voices.

Upon returning home, I moved my ironing board, sewing machine and supplies into the living room to work on a homemade Christmas gift. On the radio show Fresh Air, which hails from Philadelphia, a tribute to the lyricist Johnny Mercer. He wrote, among many famous tunes, "Moon River" and "That Old Black Magic." A bright lamp bows to garishly light my work against pitch black windows. The radiators hiss after being woken from late season naps.

I adore evenings filled with timeless elements. Through the years, out of necessity or hobby, women have carefully measured, pinned and sewn fabrics. Threads catch on pant legs and fingers are pricked. A proud iron puffs and gurgles as needles poke and scissors crunch through fabric. The radio's offering keeps a comforting background time.

I'm old fashioned/
I love the moonlight/
I love the old fashioned things/

The sound of rain/
Upon a window pane/
The starry song that April sings/

This year's fancies/
Are passing fancies/
But sighing sighs holding hands/
These my heart understands/

I know I'm old fashioned/
But I don't mind it/
That's how I want to be/
As long as you agree/
To stay old fashioned with me/
--"I'm Old Fashioned," lyrics by Johnny Mercer

No comments:

Post a Comment