Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Screeching Halt

At 3:00 AM yesterday, after returning our town's revelers home from the World Series game, the SEPTA transit workers of Philadelphia went on strike, bringing to a standstill all bus, trolley and subway lines into and around the city. The regional rail service, which I take into work, is still in operation as these employees are under a separate contract. Since everyone flocked to these trains, there were long, snaking lines of confused and frustrated passengers at the station and the trains were standing room only. Needless to say, the highways and byways of Philadelphialand have been chuck a block, with commute times more than doubling.

The saga continues as this morning, I arrived at the station in Ardmore only to find out that the previous train had caught fire and all passengers had been evacuated, suspending all train service for the Paoli/Thorndale and Cynwyd lines. So, I have returned home to monitor the fate of my commute online and work a bit from home. My boss has been stuck on the Schuykill freeway for two hours already, not even close to our offices.

I've always considered myself a strong union supporter but I'm not so sure this time around. According to news reports, the transit workers have been offered salary increases of 11% over three years, no increase in healthcare costs and continued contributions to their pensions. In this economic climate with so many making do with less or sometimes nothing at all, I feel hard-pressed to support their cause. I guess for now, it's wait and see -- both on contract negotiations and my work day.

Update: Route R5 service has been restored following the fire, so off I go to work.  I'm taking plenty of snacks and reading material just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment