Saturday, August 28, 2010

Basket Case

Gus and I spent the morning cleaning up clutter and packing away nonessential items in preparation for our move to Seattle. I sorted through my craft project basket and found there a pattern for making a basket which I bought on our visit to Harper's Ferry last year.

The package said "For years 8 and up" so I figured easy enough, right?

First, I took out the package contents and soaked the wood strips:


Then, I wove a square to create the bottom of the basket:


After folding up the spokes to create the sides of the basket I began weaving, first with 1/2 inch weaver and then with 1/4 inch:


Once the basket reached the desired height, I added the handle and pinned the basket's upper rim into place, wrapping a 1/4 inch reed around the rim to secure:


And, the finished product!


It's not perfect and there were some frustrating moments, but overall this was a fun project and a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment