Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Forget-Me-Not

Today someone stood me up. We were supposed to meet for lunch but she never showed. I called and left a message but she didn't answer so that was that. I had a moment of politely wondering if something terrible had happened but deep down you know that's not the case. She just forgot, I guess. Which happens, I suppose.

Not as easily forgotten as a missed lunch date are the times when this has happened to you; fortunately, these moments do not come often. Maybe ten years ago I invited a friend for dinner. Gus and I bought the wine, made the dinner, set the table and waited. And waited. Dinner grew cold, the candles burned down, the wine was drunk as the sky darkened. She never showed. I called, but nothing. She had, simply, forgotten. Of course, the next day when she checked her answering machine she was mortified, but by then it really is too late. On her end promises were made for a redo, but we didn't invite her back and the friendship soon fizzled.

Oh well, happens to the best of us, right?

"Ill customs and bad advice are seldom forgotten."
                                                                                             --Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment