Thursday, August 12, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

Today is my tenth wedding anniversary, at once an age ago and yet unbelievable that a decade has passed between today and August 12, 2000.

Over the years, my memory of our wedding ceremony and reception has faded. I know there are a million details from that day that I've forgotten. What was fresh the next day, the next week or even the next year has been lost over time, mixed in with so much life lived in the meantime. Despite these losses, to be re-remembered only in our wedding video, a few photographs and the recall of others, there is one element of that day that has remained for me crystal clear, as fresh as that bright, sunny day ten years ago.

It's not my dress, although it was gorgeous. It's not the band, although they were catchy! It's not the food, although it was tasty. And it's not even the rings, although they were shiny. Believe it or not, it's actually our wedding vows. And really, the whole reason for the event and its pomp and gaiety at all. Call my corny or completely cliche, but I admit I really do repeat our vows to myself every so often and have done so consistently over the last ten years. Under my breath as I walk to the train. As I sweep the living room floor. At night before I fall asleep. While gardening. Not every day, certainly, not every month, but often enough to check in with those seven said lines and know I've kept my word each and every day. To see how that promise applies to our lives right now, differently or similar to years past and how I will continue keep it true in the many years ahead.

And so, from memory, the most important words I've ever said, in celebration and in honor of ten special years:

I take you, Gustavo, to be my husband and these things I promise you:
I will be faithful to you and honest with you.
I will respect, trust, help and care for you.
I will share my life with you.
I will forgive you as we have been forgiven,
and I will try with you to better understand ourselves, the world, and God,
through the best and worst of what is to come, as long as we live.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I remember that day... a beautiful August day in Seattle...the unique ceremony.... the lovely reception in your mother's yard, and how beautiful you were. When the set-up was complete for the reception and as you stood in the upper yard, gazing onto the set-up below, I asked you if this is what you thought it would be. Do you remember your answer? "It's just as I imagined it would be". Now another adventure awaits you and Gus...for more than 10 years....a lifetime!....d

    ReplyDelete